Cleveland Hopkins International Airport (CLE)
History, Facts and Overview
(Cleveland, Ohio - OH, USA)
Cleveland Airport was opened in July 1925 and became America's very first municipally owned airport. The airport has grown from around 400 acres / 162 hectares in 1925 with just a landing field, to its current size of almost 2,000 acres / 810 hectares, complete with four main runways.
Cleveland Hopkins International Airport (CLE) was named after William R. Hopkins, the City Manager and a driving force behind the construction and planning process.
For many years, Cleveland's airport has led the way in the nation's aviation. In 1930 it became the first airfield to install a lighting system, and during the same year, was also the first airport in the world to have an air traffic control tower. Hopkins Airport also initiated the very first radio communication system, passenger information boards, railway-air passenger services, air taxis and onsite paramedic unit.
Plenty of shopping amenities and dining options are to be found at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport, with around 30 different eateries and 20 stores, which are mainly located in the PlazaShops area. Popular restaurants and cafes include local outlets of BanJoe's Cafe, Cleveland Brews, Great Lakes Brewing Company and the West Side Market Deli, along with a small food court with fast-food outlets. For last-minute gifts, the Cleveland Emporium and the Museum Store are on hand and easy to find. Cleveland Hopkins is also home to an Airport Wireless Business Center, Neptune Internet kiosks, US Bank cashpoints and a quiet chapel area.